Top Sale Tips
Stylist Siobhan Cooper teaches us sale-shopping savvy.
It’s that time of year again, when we elbow each other out of the way determined to get the bargain of the century but instead, end up spending a fortune on items that never see the light of day. To get the most out of sale shopping it’s not about rushing in and grabbing what you can, a ‘game-plan’ is a must. So here are some top tips on making the most of the sales.
• Buy Classics – Hunt through all those shiny and brightly coloured pieces that stand out on the rails and find the staples. If you find a nice pair of jeans or a classic blazer in the sale, you are on to a cost-per-wear winner.
• Make Sure Things Fit - As much as you love the item, if it doesn’t fit, it won’t look good, even if it is cheap. You would be surprised at the variety of sizes people buy in the sale but no one can be a size 6 and a size 16.
• Splash Out – The sale is about finding a bargain but it also gives us the opportunity to buy things we never dreamed we could afford. Rather than buying hundreds of really cheap items that will clog up your wardrobe at sale time it’s worth venturing in to the shops that are usually out of your price range and treating yourself to something amazing.
• Trend Buying – Be wary when buying in to trends at the end of the season. Fashion moves fast and to get the most out of trend pieces it is usually best to buy them as soon as they hit the shops. If you are very fashion savvy you will have an idea of what has been seen in on the catwalks for next summer, in this case, buy and put away until next summer.
• Try On – The queue may seem like it’s a mile long but always try before you buy. The item’s bad fit may be the reason it is in sale and standing for ten minutes waiting for a fitting room will be less hassle than heading back to the shop and returning the items.
• Stop and Re-assess – Before heading to the till, look at the items you are about to purchase. Make sure that they fit with your wardrobe, that they suit your style and that you can think of when you will wear them and what you will wear them with.
• Make a Day of it – There are a lot of shops in Liverpool One and to get the most out of the sales it’s worth taking a day trip. You will get more for your money if you take your time, hit all your favourite shops buying only the best bits. Stop for plenty of breaks and refreshments, shopping can be exhausting so do what you can to make to make it as relaxed and enjoyable as possible.
Check out some of the summer sales NOW ON
Written by Siobhan Cooper.
Siobhan is an Irish born freelance stylist and personal shopper. She is also fashion editor of STYLEetc magazine and has previously run style workshops at events such as Britain’s Next Top Model Live.